Software life cycle Models: Waterfall, Spiral, Prototyping fourth generation techniques, and SW process.
Software requirements specification (SRS): Fact-finding Techniques, characteristics of a good SRS- Unambiguous, Complete, Verifiable, Consistent, Modifiable, Traceable and usable during the operation and Maintenance phase, prototype outline for SRS.
SW Inspection: Communication Skills for the system Analyst.Review/Inspection Procedure. Document, Composition of the inspection team, checklist, reading by the inspectors, Recording of the defects and actions recomended. Students should practice inspecting small requirement specifications for good characteristics.
System Analysis: SA tools & Techniques, DFD, Entity relationship Diagrams, Project Dictionary.
SW Design: System Design Tools and Techniques, Prototyping, Structured programming.
User Interface Design: Elements of good design, Design issues, features of a modern GUI.Menus, scrolling, windows, icons, panel’s, Error messages etc.
User Manual: User profile, concepts of a user manual, student is urged to install and use software using its user manual and report the strengths and weakness of that user manual.
Software Configuration Management: Base line, SCM process, Version Control, Change Management.
Computer Aided Software Engineering: CASE, Tools for project management support, analysis and design, programming prototyping maintainence, future of CASE.
1. Beizer, B.,"Software Testing Techniques", Second Edition.Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1990.
2. IEEE guides to software requirement specifications, std. 1980-1984.In IEEE standards collection, and 1993. Available from IEEE standards Board,445 Hoe’s lane, P.O. Box 1331,Piscataway,NJ 08855-1331,NJ,and USA.
3. IEEE standard for software documentation, std.1963-1987.
4. Jalote, P,"An Integrated Approach to software engineering", Narose 1991.
5. Pressman, RS,"software engineering practitioner's approach" Third Edition, 1992.
6. Whiten Bentley and Barlow."System Analysis and Disign Methods", Second Edition, Galgotia Publications, 1996.